All In A Day's Work

So, I haven't posted in a while because I just felt like I didn't have anything to post about. My life is moving along like normal (whatever that means) and I didn't have anything to share except the same things I've been sharing... you know, California is a beautiful state, still trying to make friends and find a best friend, kids are adapting well (they have more friends than I do), husband loves his job, etc. Then I realized that I hadn't posted since I got a job myself! DUH! So, I'm working now as a Respiratory Therapist (what I actually went to school for... go figure). I didn't realize how tough the job market was... I mean, people were telling me, but since I was in school I didn't want to stress out about it. I just focused on passing my class with good grades and learning the things that I needed, especially while in clinicals because that's the hands-on that we need. Both hospitals that I rotated to for clinicals were more than happy to hire me on as an employee, they continually commented on how easy going I was and how professional I was, and that they would be more than happy to have me on their team/staff. These hospitals were good hospitals (I will not name them) but I had an idea of the type of environment that I wanted to work in, and I did not apply once I graduated and passed my boards. People were shocked! They were for sure that I would get the job... well you can't get a job if you don't apply. I also wanted to take some time off and spend with my family, I felt like I neglected them a bit going to school, studying and going to clinicals. It was all for a good reason and we did the best we could but I missed them and hanging with them, so I took the summer off. Again, people were shocked! Saying, " you have to jump right in or you'll forget stuff or all the jobs will fill in before you even start." I was amazed at how my going against the grain rubbed so many people the wrong way... CRAZY! You would think, what difference does it make to them what I'm doing, if you wanna jump right in go ahead! No one is stopping you. SO... I took the summer off and started looking for a job around September, because the kids would be back in school. I was looking but not really LOOKING. I didn't start really looking until October. I put in some resumes at a few different places, but again I was looking for the right job. I didn't want to just jump in and work somewhere I would be miserable. The places of employment were being interviewed by me just as much as I was being interviewed by them. I don't think people look at it the same way, but I did because I didn't want to be stuck somewhere I'd be miserable... again, people were shocked! I got scared as time went on because I was getting no respose from my resumes and the responses that I did get were "sorry but we're going with someone with more experience." This got me scared because maybe I should have just applied at those hospitals... I began to get worried. Matthew 6:25-34. This scripture REALLY helped me through that time. It was hard... The longer time went on with no responses, the more worried I was tempted to be. But this scripture reminds me that God has me covered. I don't have to worry about basic needs... God has me covered. All I had to do was put in the work of putting my resume out and pray, He would take care of the rest. This was my go to scripture for 4 months (I don't count from graduation, just from when I started looking for a job). And I had to "go to" it A LOT! I should say at this time too, that I was beginning to wonder if I even wanted to work in a hospital. I didn't REALLY want to work holidays or weekends but I know that when starting, you pretty much have to go with the schedule you get. I wanted more time with my family and was hoping to only work 3 twelve hour shifts per week... That would have been great for me, so I prayed about that too. So basically I was praying for a job that still allowed me time with teh family, no weekends or holidays and not everyday of the week, with great pay and benefits, not far from my house... in a hospital... LOL! I would take a miracle. There were only 4 hospitals that I felt like I would be able to drive to and spend most of my day on the freeway (Cali freeway is no joke!). God was at work and HE knew the desires of my heart. I just had to remain focused on HIM. In December I got a call for an interview. The guy from HR and I hit it off really quick. He was sure to keep repeating that this is not the normal respiratory therapy job, it's very non-traditional. I didn't know what that meant... I wasn't really all that familiar with traditional, so I thought I go check it out and see if I liked it. I told him first that my biggest thing was being in a good work environment. I know that people are people and have disagreements from time to time but I wanted to be in an environment that people respected each other and for the most part got along. He said, "I reallt think you were made for our company, but I'd like you to come in and make the decision for yourself". WHAT! Long story short... GOD is in control and has you covered. I now work for a great, family oriented company, 4 ten hour days a week and no weekends or holidays. The schedule if flexible and the people have me cracking up all day long. I actually enjoy going to work, for the employees and the patients (most of them). God could not have planned this job better for me... I just had to get out of the way and let HIM work... He ALWAYS has our best interest in mind...And the pay is awesome too!

Comments

Popular Posts