30 Weeks Post Relaxer

So I've been on a hair journey as well... I started with relaxed hair that was down to my shoulder blade and now this is where I am:


Last year I decided that I wanted to teach my daughter to appreciate her natural hair because of course I think it's beautiful (we are a blended family so my daughter is mixed). On figuring how to best take care of her hair I realized that I did not appreciate my own hair. I didn't even remember what my natural hair looked like, I've been getting relaxers since I was about 13. I don't remember asking for a relaxer, I remember my mother giving me a choice between a relaxer and a jeri curl... Needless to say I'm glad I picked the former, but it was chemicals all the same. I'm sure my mom did it to save herself the stress of having to fight with my hair and my sister's hair, I mean, she was a single mom of 5 working 3 jobs. We didn't question it, we just went with it. Well here I am, at 34 realizing that I haven't seen my own hair in over 20 years! I didn't even know how to care for my own hair. And so my journey began... October 2011 I made the decision to be done with "creamy crack" and go natural. In my journey I've come to realize that there are other areas that need to really pay attention to, like make-up and face wash, so I started using vegan make-up and face wash and I don't remember my skin looking this great or FEELING this great! People might think I've moved to Cali and become "granola" but really it's about realizing that I only have this body and I want to take care of it for as long as I can, so that I can see my kids grow and enjoy it.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts