The Cost Is Worth It


Okay, so I haven't blogged since last year... yeah I know, LAME! But anyway, this year has been very busy so far. Hopefully I only have 18 more months for school (whoo-hoo!), the kids are growing faster than I'd like and being a parent just keeps me busy, as most moms know. I've been reading a book (I know, I actually have time to read!) in the mornings for my quiet times with God. "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp. I originally started reading it because I've been trying to figure out why my oldest son does some of the things he does and how I can guide him to be a great man for God. If anyone knows him they know he's obedient and is really not a problem where behavior is concerned. Most of his issues are character issues that could go unnoticed by outsiders. So in trying to figure out how to discipline character I came across this book and LET ME TELL YOU! I believe everyone who has children, and want them to grow to be great men and women of God, should read this book. Even if you don't think of it from the aspect of strong men and women of God and just strong and secure in themselves... YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK! It's not just about what is wrong but there are practicals that are VERY helpful and it TOTALLY gives you things to think about in your character as well. If you don't want change then this isn't the book for you. We all need help in parenting because most of us just do the same things that our parents did and we know how we turned out :o). I would just like to leave you with and exerp from the book:

"To do the job of parenting well, it must be a primary task. It is your primary calling. Parenting will mean that you can't do all of the things that you could otherwise do. It will affect your golf handicap. It may mean your home doesn't look like a picture from Better Homes and Gardens. It will impact your career and ascent on the corporate ladder. It will alter the kind of friendships you will be able to pursue. It will influence the kind of ministry you are able to pursue. It will modify the amount of time you have for bowling, hunting, television, or how many books you read. It will mean that you can't develop every interest that comes along. The costs are high."

Every parent should read this book.





Comments

Popular Posts