A Discouraging Day To Say The Least...

The day started out okay, trying to potty-train is never the glory days. I was suppose to stay home all day today, best thing for potty-training. At 12 in the afternoon I received a call from my good friend Candace... I heard, "Harry died! I need you!", so I went. A few things about Candace... for one, I don't think I've EVER heard her say she needed anyone. She's an independent soul (I can relate) and I think it has a lot to do with being a single mom (been there). Another thing is, as far as her family is concerned, she complains about them a lot but I've known her for... about six or seven years, and I know she loves them A LOT. She tries to be all bad, but she's a big ole softy underneath it all... but she's NEVER verbalized it (I'm proud of her growth). Harry is Candace's step-father, but the only father she's known, and because of her analytical mind (or if you wanna call it politically correct), she's never called him dad, but always called him Harry. Harry was 52 yrs old, healthy and her parents had just celebrated their 15th anniversary... they were planning to leave for Paris on Friday...

So my friend said she needed me... had to be there. It was so 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants', but I know that I would need someone if the roles were reversed and she would be one of the people I would call. I know she would be there for me... not even a doubt. Now, Candace's mom and I never really clicked. It's not like I disliked her or she disliked me, but we never really made it a point to be around each other either. Today, however, I saw her pain and confusion... I just hugged her, there is nothing I could say, she lost her best friend... the one she was suppose to grow old with... I can't even imagine what that would be like.

I returned home at 6pm, did I mention I had taken the kids with me... yeah. No one was available to keep them, and I have to say, my kids did REALLY well... I was proud of them. I love my babies (yes one of them just turned 12 but he's still my baby too). By the time I got home I was just spent... emotionally, physically, mentally... SPENT.

But have you ever had one of those days that it seems as though every time you turn around someone wants something from you? Just because I had spent myself at Candace's side, when my hubby got home, he wanted. People kept calling because they wanted... I just stopped answering the phone. I felt so bad, because I think I'm a good friend, and I'm a pretty good listener, and people want to be heard so they come to me. It's my gift and I usually balance it well... not so much today and I just wanted someone to say... for once, "what is it that you need?" I didn't hear that today... I feel bad for WANTING to hear it... but I think I NEEDED to hear it.

I recently attended to Women of Faith Conference, with Candace and my friend Sara. Lisa Whelchel gave a little lesson and one thing she talked about was having a really good friend that can be there for you in your times of need. Someone who would hold your hand when you had to go through the hard things. Someone who would encourage you and cheer you on. Someone who knew everything about you, good and bad, and loved you anyway. She referred to this person as an "Emmit". Saying that we all need an "Emmit" in our lives. I REALLY tried to be Candace's "Emmit" today. After the lesson, Candace asked me who my "Emmit" was, I thought about it and replied "I don't have one". Don't get me wrong, I have friends that care for me. I go to certain people for certain things, but I don't think there is ONE person that 'GETS' me, or that I've entrusted that role to... THAT makes me even more sad. Candace replied, "that's not good"... I agree.

Discouraging to say the least...

RIP
Harry Whitmore
1957-2009 (July 21)

Comments

Popular Posts